Thursday, September 24, 2009

CSA - Year 1

This was the first year we've tried a CSA and I must say I'm disappointed. Now some of this is my fault and I fully take the blame for that. I fell victim to a well done website and an farmer who was active in some of the same groups I am and signed up before I figured out a few things... like pick up locations. After having done the CSA for the summer and seeing what some of the neighbors get delivered within blocks of their house I won't be signing up for the same CSA next year.

That said, I'm also let down by the communication, quality, quantity and diversity that the CSA provided. The start of year hype was a grocery bag a week filled with seasonal produce that is a mix of old standards and new variety's that you've never seen before an an email every time you get a delivery with a recipe and/or information about what was in the share. So we're wrapping up the summer and maybe 3 recipes? Emails 1 of 3 weeks? And while I understand it's been a hard year and that is one of the risk/reward trade off with the CSA I was seeing what my neighbors got and their hard year was a lot more productive than mine. The only thing my CSA really excelled at was lettuce. Almost every week we've gotten something green and leafy to put in a bowl. Not a tomato in the bunch, but lots of green.

Overall next year is gonna be more research, more patience and alot less driving...

No comments: